Losing hair is a normal part of aging, as adults lose up to 100 strands of hair naturally every single day. But when hair loss is premature or exceeds a normal amount, it can be an extremely frustrating issue that deals a blow to your self-esteem and confidence. Both men and women can suffer from thinning hair or balding patches, and there is no single cause or one-size-fits-all treatment to prescribe.
Hair loss, also called alopecia, can affect men and women of all ages, and the causes range from natural aging to acute diseases. Some of the most common reasons for hair loss in either gender include:
* Hereditary baldness or hair thinning that is passed down from one or both parents’ families
* Excess stress or hormones (in women this can include giving birth and menopause)
* Illness related to major surgery, high fever, a serious infection, or even the flu
* Cancer treatments that use radiation or chemotherapy
* Scalp ringworm, a contagious disease that’s common in children but can spread to adults.
* Various diseases, including thyroid disease and anemia among several others, can cause hair loss as a side effect or symptom
* Alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder
* Diet and nutrition will also impact the health of your skin and hair, so deficiencies in protein and iron or excess vitamin A can affect natural hair growth
* Extreme weight loss from an eating disorder or even a healthy lifestyle can temporarily stop hair from growing
Understanding hair loss is the first step in effective treatment
To get to the root cause of your hair loss, Tru-Skin Dermatology starts with a clinical biopsy—a lab test of skin and hair samples to identify the exact reason you’re losing hair faster than your peers. Based on
the results, we’ll recommend treatment options that encourage natural hair growth. In some cases, this can include prescription oral or topical medications. The FDA-approved pill Finasteride, for example, slows hair loss and stimulates re-growth in up to 88% of male patients. Laser treatments are a newer innovation for hair loss treatment that can be used alone or with medication to increase natural hair growth. Contact the Cedar Park Tru-Skin Dermatology office in Austin and get a personalized treatment plan that restores your self-confidence.
THERADOME™ LASER HAIR GROWTH TREATMENT
Many of our patients at Tru-Skin Dermatology benefit from Theradome™, which is a laser hair growth treatment that can be used safely at home. Using medical-grade lasers to stimulate the hair follicles found deep within your scalp, Theradome™ helps patients regrow hair and prevent future hair loss. The Theradome™ helmet device is FDA-approved and recommended by doctors as an effective laser hair growth treatment for men and women of all ages. While it is designed for patients with varying stages of hair loss, the earlier you begin treatment, the better the results (based on several clinical studies, although individual results may vary).
Theradome™ is comfortable to wear and easy to operate using audio commands, which can even inform you how many sessions you have completed and how many remain in your treatment. The helmet needs to be recharged at least twice a week, and we suggest keeping it connected to its charger when it is not in use. The best time to wear the Theradome™ helmet is after you have dried your hair following a shower. Low-level laser therapy (or red light therapy) is a noninvasive treatment preferred by many patients due to its convenience and lack of side effects. To learn more about this innovative hair growth treatment, please contact Tru-Skin Dermatology today.