BOTOX® is an FDA-approved wrinkle relaxer that can be injected quickly and effectively into areas of the face that reveal fine lines and/or asymmetry. It works by using botulinum toxin type A, which induces temporary relaxation of the facial muscles, softening wrinkles. In most cases, individuals opt to use BOTOX® in the forehead, frown lines and around the eyes, where deeper wrinkles are found.
While BOTOX® is for wrinkles, dermal fillers are for volume restoration. There are a few key differences to remember when you are considering different treatment options. BOTOX® relaxes the muscles to stop creases and wrinkles caused by facial expressions typically found in the upper face. Fillers, on the other hand, use hyaluronic acid and other similar substances to fill in areas that have lost volume and plumpness. This usually entails areas around the mouth and cheeks that lose volume with age. BOTOX® is an excellent choice for softening fine lines and for preventative care. Starting early helps to prevent new wrinkles from forming.
Good candidates for BOTOX®
Once you schedule your initial conversation with the experts at Tru-Skin Dermatology, we can determine if BOTOX® is right for you. Appropriate candidates will usually have one or more of the following conditions:
- Fine or deep lines and wrinkles, usually caused by repetitive facial expressions
- Wrinkles that change the expression on the face
- Facial asymmetry, usually around the eyebrows
- No desire for surgical intervention
How to prepare for injections
To ensure effective and safe results, it’s important for you to take the proper precautions before receiving your BOTOX® treatment. These include:
- Avoid taking aspirin or anti-inflammatory medications for one week beforehand, as these can thin the blood and increase bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- Because of possible bruising, we recommended you schedule your plans accordingly for the days following your injections.
- A topical numbing agent can be applied, but this requires a longer appointment time. Most BOTOX® patients choose to receive the injections without any numbing.
What to expect
BOTOX® treatments can be performed on the same day as the consultation and typically last about 15 to 30 minutes. Prior to injecting BOTOX® into the facial muscles using a small needle, we will carefully clean all treatment sites. You will be able to leave our office after your treatment, but you should avoid exercise, alcohol, lying down, or touching the injection sites for at least 24 hours. There may be temporary bruising, swelling, or redness post treatment.
Patients will start to see results of the wrinkle-reducing treatment of BOTOX® in as little as 2 to 3 days. The treatment generally lasts 3 to 6 months, so we recommend planning for your next injections during this period. You may also schedule follow-up appointments to check on the initial treatment a two weeks post-injection. Checkout pricing here.
CALL US TODAY AT THE TRU-SKIN DERMATOLOGY OFFICE NEAREST TO YOU
Our 8 Texas Locations: