Reveal Beautiful Skin with Fraxel® Laser Treatment
What is a Fraxel® Resurfacing Treatment?
This dermatology treatment is a type of unique laser therapy that reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, and more while also improving the texture and pigmentation of the skin. The treatment is safe and proven to address skin imperfections caused by sun damage, injury, and aging. Fraxel® earns its name from the terms, “fraction” and “pixel,” which reference the method in which the treatment repairs skin. The treatment resurfaces the skin fractionally, using pinpoint laser columns know as pixels. Because the procedure targets columns of the skin and leaves some adjacent columns untreated, the skin can heal faster. The untreated skin assists the treated surface in healing, while the treated columns produce more collagen, eventually improving the appearance of the skin.
What are the Benefits of a Fraxel® Laser Treatment?
There are a number of factors that can take a toll on your skin. Overexposure to sunlight or other elements, bad cases of acne, and even hormonal changes can all leave their mark, causing discoloration or a dull appearance. A Fraxel® laser treatment will help to remedy all of these issues as it resurfaces the skin and promotes the production of collagen. Your skin will look and feel younger after undergoing treatment at one of our dermatology offices. Fraxel® treatments may result in the reduction of:
- Wrinkles and fine lines of the face, neck, chest, arms, and hands
- Uneven pigmentation such as age spots and sun spots
- Acne scars, surgical scars, or stretch marks
- Redness of the face or neck
Who Is a Good Candidate for Fraxel® Treatments?
Both men and women make ideal candidates for laser skin treatments, as the results are beneficial to everyone looking to improve their skin. At Tru-Skin Dermatology, we require all patients who undergo a Fraxel® treatment to be in overall good health. If you meet these criteria and currently suffer from discoloration, scars, or other skin imperfections, you’ll make a great candidate for our treatment. Any patients who have an active skin infection, a sunburn, dermatitis, or a cold sore will likely be advised to postpone their treatment as it could further irritate your current condition.
How Should I Prepare for my Fraxel® Treatment?
Before undergoing a Fraxel® treatment, there are a few things you can do to help make sure your procedure is a success. Taking these steps will ensure the investment you make in this treatment is well worth the price. We’ll go over each pre-treatment tip in detail during your consultation appointment, but here are the main things you’ll want to do:
- Stop Smoking: Smoking interferes with blood flow, which could hinder your healing following the procedure. In addition, smoking can also cause the very signs of aging you’re attempting to fight with this treatment, so continuing to do so will only hurt your progress.
- Reduce Sun Exposure: Tanned skin is more challenging to treat, so it’s important to stay out of the sun as much as possible before your treatment. Stop any tanning you do at salons and use SPF if you plan to be outside.
- Cut Down on the Number of Skin Products You Use: Certain skin products may increase your risk for irritation following your procedure. We usually recommend that patients stop using any products that contain retinoids, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid.
- Don’t Wax: If you usually wax any portion of your face, we recommend you skip this before your Fraxel® treatment. Because waxing pulls the entire hair from the skin, it often leaves small abrasions in your skin, which could get irritated when you undergo your treatment.
What Should I Expect During the Treatment?
Fraxel® treatments are relatively simple and can be completed right at your local dermatologist. While the procedure is not considered painful, it’s also not totally without sensation. Many patients describe the treatment as creating a warm, prickling sensation. A topical anesthetic will be applied to increase comfort during the procedure. After this, our practitioner will apply a layer of gel over the treatment area and then proceed to complete the process using a hand-held device that will administer the light pulses. Though you’ll notice a difference after one session, we usually recommend up to six sessions to achieve the optimal results.
What to Expect After the Treatment
After treatment, you can expect your full recovery to take about a week. Your skin may feel tender like you have a sunburn for the first few hours. The treated area may also be dry and flaky as the old skin is sloughed away, making way for the new healthier skin. You’ll notice healthier tissue beginning to appear after just a few days. You’ll want to be sure you protect this new skin by applying sunscreen daily. Please contact our team if you have any questions about caring for your skin post-treatment or if you would like to schedule a consultation.
Call Us Today at the Tru-Skin Dermatology Office Nearest to You
Our 8 Texas Locations: