Professional CO2 Laser Skin Resurfacing in Austin, Texas
Tru-Skin Dermatology offers professional carbon dioxide (CO2) laser skin resurfacing at our Austin, Texas location. Founded on the principles of healthy skin, our full-service dermatology practice offers the latest advances in anti-aging and skin rejuvenation procedures, injections, and laser treatments – including robust skin resurfacing with our state-of-the-art Candela CO2RE laser.
What Is CO2 Laser Resurfacing?
The CO2 laser is an ablative laser treatment, which means that it will penetrate and partially remove the superficial epidermis. Due to its depth of treatment, it can effectively treat superficial skin flaws such as fine lines and wrinkles and greatly improve and eliminate deeper age spots by retexturizing the skin. The CO2 laser can also minimize the appearance of acne and surgical scars.
How Does CO2 Laser Resurfacing Work?
Fractionated CO2 lasers create uniform injury to the skin in the designated treatment area. Numerous microscopic columns are precisely created within the thin outer layer of skin known as the epidermis, while the underlying skin known as the dermis is heated, stimulating the growth of new collagen and elastin fibers. The newest generation of CO2 lasers uses short-pulsed light energy delivered in a scanning pattern to remove thin layers of skin with minimal heat damage to the surrounding areas. After the epidermis is healed, the treated area reveals smoother, tighter, and younger-looking skin.
What Can CO2 Laser Resurfacing Treat?
The fractionated CO2 laser excels at treating a wide range of skin issues for a range of skin types. Fractional lasers were originally developed to shorten recovery time and reduce the risk of side effects. If your skin suffers from any of the following issues, CO2 laser resurfacing may be ideal for you:
- Fine Lines
- Under-eye area loose skin and crow’s feet lines
- Age Spots
- Dark Spots
- Décolletage unevenness
- Acne Scars
- Sun Damage
- Large Pores
- Uneven Skin Tone
Before CO2 Laser Resurfacing Treatment
If you are opting to undergo CO laser resurfacing treatment at Tru-Skin Dermatology, it is highly recommended that you obtain the following prior to treatment: moisturizing ointment per physician’s directive, hypoallergenic skin cleanser per physician’s directive, ice packs, broad-spectrum sunblock that is SPF 30 or greater, white vinegar, and cotton balls. Obtaining these items before treatment will help ensure your success after treatment. Additionally, we recommend that our patients avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, and tanning creams one month before treatment. For the month leading up to your treatment, use a broad-spectrum sunblock that is SPF 30 or greater when going outside because if your treatment area is tanned, you may not be treated.
After CO2 Laser Resurfacing Treatment
When you undergo CO2 laser resurfacing treatment at Tru-Skin Dermatology, there are specific steps to follow during the first 48 hours after treatment and after the first 48 hours post-treatment. Below, we’ve gone into detail regarding both:
During the first 48 hours after treatment:
- Apply white vinegar soak to treated areas every two hours. Follow with applying the moisturizing ointment immediately after each soak. Use ice packs every two hours for 20 minutes maximum for swelling and discomfort.
- Keep your head elevated when lying down. As directed by your physician, take acetaminophen or a pain reliever if necessary.
After the first 48 hours post-treatment:
- Decrease the vinegar soaks to four times a day for two additional days. Continue the moisturizing ointment and start using sunblock. This will decrease the healing time and minimize discomfort, such as itching.
- Gently clean the skin twice a day with a hypoallergenic cleanser. Do not scrub the treatment area. Re-apply the moisturizing ointment after each wash.
- For a few weeks, avoid sun exposure, as well as tanning beds and tanning creams. Use a broad-spectrum sunblock SPF 30 or greater when the treatment area is exposed to the sun. If possible, cover the area with clothing to reduce sun exposure.
- Keep all follow-up appointments to assess how the treatment is progressing. If your pain ever increases, please promptly call our office.
- Once the treatment area is healed, you may resume a regular skin care regimen, including makeup or shaving. Be careful water is not too hot when shaving.
Contact Us Today To Schedule Your Treatment
Tru-Skin Dermatology is dedicated to its valued patients. With eight locations across Central Texas, you’ll be able to access one of our state-of-the-art facilities that are located closest to you for the utmost convenience. To learn more about CO2 laser resurfacing treatment or schedule a consultation with our professional team, contact us today. (Note: CO2 treatment is currently only offered at the Austin, TX location)